The national Catalan dessert, and an authentic Spanish sweet.
What could be better than finishing a good meal with this melting and tasty cream? Easy and quick to prepare, it can be prepared the day before your meal. It will only be tastier.
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 250 ml milk
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 level tbsp corn starch
Direction (15-20 min)
- In a saucepan, put the milk with the cinnamon stick and the lemon zest. Slowly bring to a boil.
- While the milk is slowly heating, beat the egg yolks, the sugar, and the corn starch, until the mixture turns pale yellow.
- Remove the citrus peels and cinnamon stick from the hot milk, and lower the heat.
- Slowly add the egg yolk mixture to the milk, keep stirring gently so that the eggs don’t scramble.
- Stir consistently over low heat until the mixture has thickened.
- Put the mix into two flat-bottomed 10 cm ramekins, cover them with plastic wraps and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Just before serving, sprinkle a thin layer of sugar on top of each ramekin. Spread the sugar out by tilting the ramekins in all directions and caramelize with a blowtorch.
For the tapas dinner party you could have before this dessert, the recipes are here. 😉
Enjoy your dessert!
This looks delicious! I don’t think we had any Catalana cream when we were in Barcelona last so might need to try some at home!
You have to try it. The recipe is really easy to do and I’m sure you will love the cream. 😃 As good as a chocolate dessert 😉